Frequently Asked Questions

Question: I am interested in attending the BRC seminars and I am not a student or faculty, may I attend?

Answer: Yes, the seminars are free to the public.

Question: As an undergraduate, what should I major in to prepare me for the Bioinformatics graduate programs?

Answer: Since bioinformatics is so interdisciplinary, we routinely accept students into the bioinformatics graduate programs that have degrees in either computer science or biology (or chemistry, or math, or physics, or ...). Having said that, you will best prepare yourself by taking courses in both areas. A B.S. degree in biology (or chemistry, math, etc.) and a minor in computer science, or vice versa, would be ideal.

If you are a current UNC Charlotte undergraduate, the Minor in Bioinformatics will be your best option.

Question: Is the general GRE sufficient?


Question: What is the GRE code for UNC Charlotte?

Answer: UNC Charlotte's School Code is 5105. A department code is not necessary.

Question: I have an International M.S. degree, do I need to have current TOEFL and GRE scores?

Answer: Yes and Yes

Question: Where do I apply and can I apply online?

Answer: You may apply through the Graduate School's online application system, ApplyYourself. To start, go to the Graduate School's admissions website. You may only apply online, paper applications are NOT accepted.

Question: I am interested in taking a couple courses, but I'm not sure if I want a degree in Bioinformatics. Do I have an option?

Answer: If you have obtained a bachelors degree, you may be able to take a couple courses as a post-baccalaureate. To apply for post-bac, please apply online through the Graduate School's admissions website.

Question: I want to be a part-time master's student,will this be possible?

Answer: Yes, however, there is a time limit to complete graduation.

Question:  Do I send my documents (including the official transcripts, reference letters, statement of purpose and vitae/resume), to the graduate school or the department directly?

Answer: Please post all of your documentation (including the official transcripts, reference letters, statement of purpose and vitae/resume) only to the graduate school. The Graduate school will send the Department of Bioinformatics and Genomics all of the applications and the respective documents. Please NOTE that the graduate school will only forward complete packets to the department. If the application packet is incomplete the department will not receive the application packet. The department can only make a decision once we receive the packet from the graduate school.

Question: What is the address to send my application materials?

Answer: The Graduate School | The University of North Carolina at Charlotte | Cato 210 Hall |9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, N.C. 28223-0001

Question: Where do I check my application status?

Answer: Through the Graduate School's Online Application Portal website.

Question: What costs should I expect to incur as a Master's student in the Bioinformatics Program?

Answer: Upon enrollment in the M.S. in Bioinformatics program, you must be prepared to pay for your tuition, fees, books, health care, travel, and any other costs. Although there are possibilities contingent upon your past knowledge and laboratory experiences, the on campus internships are very competitive.

The tuition rate differs tremendously from an out-of-state versus in-state. For the 2015-2016 academic year, full time in-state tuition and fees were $3,516.00 per semester. Out-of-sate tuition and fees were $9,851.50 per semester. To check the current tuition and fees, please visit: Tuition & Fees

Question: What is the financial status for Ph.D. students?

Answer: We intend to support enrolled students with tuition + stipend, but due to current budget issues, it is likely that we will only accept 1-3 new Ph.D. students per year.

Question: I am an international seeking acceptance into the master's program, what tuition rate will I pay?

Answer: Out-of-state

Question: What do I need to know if I am moving to Charlotte from out of state?

Answer: Upon moving to North Carolina, domestic students should immediately begin the process of obtaining residency. Important residency details can be found at the following link:

Question: Where can I find information on housing in Charlotte?

Answer: Charlotte, NC is a rapidly growing metropolis with multitude of housing options in nearly every price range. The University’s housing website will serve as an excellent first

Here you will be able to search available listings as well as find other students looking for roommates. It will be important to consider distance from campus as you explore various housing options. Many students choose to live in the University area, particularly during their first year when the class load is most rigorous. Other areas to explore include Uptown, Dilworth, Myers Park, and Plaza Midwood. These areas are further from campus and are generally more expensive than those near the University; however, they are better situated if you are interested in Charlotte’s nightlife and city atmosphere. Bioinformatics peer mentors and fellow incoming students will also be good resources as you search for a place to live. Do not hesitate to make use of these individuals as you make your important housing decisions!

Question: I am a new student, how do I log on to my UNC Charlotte 49er Account?

Answer: You will want to set-up your NinerNET Account (UNC Charlotte’s online portal) prior to your arrival at UNC Charlotte. This will allow you to begin checking your UNC Charlotte email and will make registering for classes during orientation much easier.

To activate your NinerNET account, click on the link below and follow the detailed instructions:

Once you have activated your NinerNET account, navigate to and log in using your NinerNET credentials and click “Banner Self Services.” Here you will be able to register for classes, check out your financial aid status, and explore many other useful features.

Question: How do I register for a student parking permit?

Answer: You can register for your parking permit prior to arriving at UNC Charlotte by following the directions here.

You will need your student ID number in order to register for a parking pass! See the checklist on the Parking Services website for additional requirements.

Alternatively, you can visit the Parking Services Building and register for a parking permit in person. Be prepared to pay the fee and bring the following items with you: Driver’s License, License plate number, Vehicle identification number, Vehicle make, model, and color,and Insurance company name and policy number

Question:Where and how do I get my University ID Card (49er Card)?

Answer: You can get your ID card at the 49er Card Office located on the main floor of the Student Union as well as Auxiliary Services building. You will also have the opportunity to get your ID card during the Graduate School Orientation the weekend before school begins. IMPORTANT: You must be registered for classes in order to receive an ID card. Bring a form of identification.

For More Info:

Please visit the Graduate School’s website and if you are an international student, fully research the the International Student/Scholars Office website.

More FAQs