Carol Grotnes Belk Distinguished Professor of Bioinformatics and Genomics
Bioinformatics and Genomics
Bioinformatics 315 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In July 2012, Daniel Janies joined the faculty of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte as The Carol Grotnes Belk Distinguished Professor of Bioinformatics and Genomics. Dr. Janies received a Bachelor of Sciences degree in Biology from the University of Michigan in 1988 and a Ph.D. in Zoology from the University of Florida in 1995. Dr. Janies worked as a postdoctoral fellow (1996 - 1999) and a principal investigator (2000-2002) at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City where he lead a team that, using off-the-shelf PC components, built one of the worlds largest computing clusters in 2001. Most recently Dr. Janies was a tenured faculty member in the College of Medicine at the Ohio State University. Dr. Janies is a national principal investigator in the Tree of Life program ( http://echinotol.org/
) of the National Science foundation and is funded by the Defense Applied Research Projects Agency. His work involves empirical studies of organismal diversity and development of software, such as Supramap (https://supramap.herokuapp.com/
). Supramap is used by public health scientists to put pathogen genomic data into context with geography and hosts. The results are akin to weather maps for disease.
Degree: Ph.D. in Biology; University of Florida
- Daniel A. Janies, Laura W. Pomeroy, Chris Krueger, Yuqi Zhang, Izzet Senturk, Kamer Kaya, Ümit V. Çatalyürek. Phylogenetic visualization of the spread of H7 influenza A viruses. Cladistics. Article first published online: 21 JAN 2015 DOI: 10.1111/cla.12107. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cla.12107/abstract
- Samuel K. Handelman, Jacob M. Aaronson, Michal Sweryn, Igor Voronkin, Jesse J. Kwiek, Wolfgang Sadee, Joseph S. Verduccie, and Daniel A. Janies. Cladograms with Path to Event (ClaPTE): A novel algorithm to detect associations between genotypes of phenotypes using phylogenies. Computers in Biology and Medicine. Published Online: December 23, 2014. http://www.computersinbiologyandmedicine.com/article/S0010-4825%2814%2900359-X/abstract
- Kim, S., Miller, A., Brunson, C., Netchy, K., Clouse, R., Janies, D.,Tardy, E., Kerr, A. Shallow-water holothuroids (Echinodermata) of Yap, Federated States of Micronesia. Pacific Science 63(3). http://pacificscience.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/pac-sci-early-view-68-3-8.pdf
- Goldberg, D., Cockburn, M., Hammond, T., Jacquez, G., Janies, D., Knoblock, C., Kuhn, W., Pultar, E., and Raubal, M. 2013. Envisioning a Future for a Spatial-Health CyberGIS Marketplace. HealthGIS 2013.
- Zhang, L., Cressie, N., Pomeroy, L., Janies, D. 2013. Multi-species SIR Models from a Dynamical Bayesian Perspective. Theoretical Ecology. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12080-013-0180-x
- Mates, J., Kumar, S., Bazan, J., Mefford, M., Voronkin, I., Handelman, S., Mwapasa, V., Ackerman, W., Janies, D., Kwiek, J. 2013. Genotypic and phenotypic heterogeneity in the U3R region of HIV-1 subtype C. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/AID.2013.0026?mi=3yvu6q&af=R&searchText=breastfeeding&target=default&
- Mounce, R. and Janies, D. 2013. Synergistic sharing of data and tools to enable team science. In press in Computation for Humanity - Information Technology to Advance Society. Justyna Zander and Pieter J. Mosterman eds. CRC press. http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781439883273
- Janies, D. 2013. Xyloplax. McGraw-Hill 2013 Yearbook of Science & Technology.
- Cai, Z., Eulenstein, O., Janies, D., Schwartz, D. 2013. Bioinformatics Research and Applications: 9th International Symposium, ISBRA 2013, Charlotte, NC, USA, May 20-22, 2013, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics 7875; Springer)
- Daniel A. Janies, Jonathon Studer, Samuel K. Handelman, Gregorio Linchangco. A comparison of supermatrix and supertree methods for multilocus phylogenetics using organismal datasets. Cladistics. DOI: 10.1111/cla.12014. February 18, 2013. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cla.12014/full.
- Janies, D., Pomeroy, L., Aaronson, J., Handelman, S., Hardman, J., Kawalec, K., Bitterman, T., Wheeler, W.C. (2012) Analysis and visualization of H7 influenza using genomic, evolutionary and geographic information in a modular web service.Cladistics. DOI: 10.1111/j.1096-0031.2012.00401.x
- Chakrabarty, P., Lam, C., Hardman, J., Aaronson, J., House, P., Janies, D. (2012) Speciesmap: A Web-Based Application for Determining the Effects of the 2010 Gulf Of Mexico Oil Spill on Wildlife, with a Preliminary List of Fishes Put at Risk. Biodiversity and Conservation. http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s10531-012-0284-4
- Newman S., Hill, N., Spragens, K., Janies, D., Voronkin, I., Prosser, D., Baoping, Y., Lei, F., Batbayar, N., Tseveenmyadag, N., Bishop, C., Butler, P., Wikelski, M., Sivananinthaperumal, B., Mundkur, T., Douglas, D., and Takekawa, J. (2012) An Eco-Virological Approach for Assessing the Role of Wild Birds in the Spread of Avian Influenza H5N1 Along the Central Asian Flyway. PloS ONE. 7(2): e30636. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0030636
- Bokhari, S., Pomeroy, L., Janies, D. (2012) Reassortment Networks and the Evolution of Pandemic H1N1 Swine-origin Influenza. IEEE Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/TCBB.2011.95
- Janies D., Embi P.J., Payne P.R. Health-care hit or miss?: Collect genetic data on pathogens. Nature. Vol. 470, no. 7334. (February 17, 2011):329. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v470/n7334/full/470327a.html
- Janies, D., Voight, J., Daly, M., (2011) Echinoderm Phylogeny including Xyloplax, a Progenetic Asteroid. Systematic Biology. 604:420-438 doi: 10.1093/sysbio/syr044
- Studer, J. and Janies. D. (2011) Global spread and evolution of viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus. Journal of Fish Diseases. 34: 741–747. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2761.2011.01290.x
- Griffen, A., Beall C., Firestone, N., Gross, E., DiFranco J., Hardman, H., Vriesendorp, B., Faust, R., Janies, D., Leys, E., CORE: A Phylogenetically-Curated 16S rDNA Database of the Core Oral Microbiome. PLoS ONE 6(4):e19051. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0019051
- Kumar, S., Handelman, S., Voronkin I., Mwapasa V., Janies D., Rogerson S., Meshnick S., Kwiek J. (2011) Different Regions of HIV-1 Subtype C Env are Associated with Placental Localization and in Utero Mother-to-Child Transmission. Journal of Virology. http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/reprint/JVI.01955-10v1?view=long&pmid=21543508
- Gross, E., E. Leys, S. Gasparovich, N. Firestone, J. Schwartzbaum, D. Janies, K. Asnani, A. Griffen, (2010) Bacterial 16S Sequence Analysis of Severe Caries in Young Permanent Teeth. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 48:4121-8 http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/JCM.01232-10v1
- Bulach, D., R. Halpin, D. Spiro, L. Pomeroy, D. Janies, D. Boyle (2010) Molecular analysis of H7 avian influenza viruses from Australia and New Zealand: Genetic diversity and relationships – 1976 to 2007. Journal of Virology. http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/JVI.00930-10v1
- Janies, D., I. Voronkin, M. Das, J. Hardman, T. Treseder, J. Studer. (2010) Genome Informatics of Influenza A. From data sharing to shared analytical capabilities.Animal Health Research Reviews. 11: 73-79 http://journals.cambridge.org/repo_A78auyCI
- Janies, D., T. Treseder, B. Alexandrov, F. Habib, J. Chen, R. Ferreira, Ü. Çatalyürek, A. Varón, W.C. Wheeler. (2010) The Supramap project: Linking pathogen genomes with geography to fight emergent infectious diseases. Cladistics. 27: 61-66 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1096-0031.2010.00314.x
- Janies, D., I. Voronkin, J. Studer, J. Hardman, B. Alexandrov, T. Treseder, C. Valson. (2010) Selection for resistance to oseltamivir in seasonal and pandemic H1N1 influenza and widespread co-circulation of the lineages. International Journal of Health Geographics. 9:13 http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1476-072X-9-13
- Hovmöller, R., B. Alexandrov, J. Hardman, D. Janies. (2010) Tracking the Geographic Spread of Avian Influenza (H5N1) with Multiple Phylogenetic Trees. Cladistics. 26:1–13. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1096-0031.2009.00297.x/full
- Bokhari, S. and D. Janies. (2010) Reassortment Networks for Investigating the Evolution of Segmented Viruses. IEEE Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics 7:288-298. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=04585355
- Hill, A.W., R. Guralnick, M. Wilson, F. Habib, D. Janies. (2009) Evolution of drug resistance in multiple distinct lineages of H5N1 avian influenza. Infection, Genetics, and Evolution. 9: 169-178. Top 10 most downloaded for the journal for 2009. http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1567134808001913
- Yilmaz, A., M. Nishiyama, B. Garcia-Fuentes, G. Souza, D. Janies, J. Gray, E. Grotewold. (2009) GRASSIUS: A Platform for Comparative Regulatory Genomics Across the Grasses. Plant Physiol. doi:10.1104/pp.108.128579
- Janies, D., F. Habib, B. Alexandrov, A. Hill, D. (2008) Pol. Evolution of genomes, host shifts, and geographic spread of SARS-CoV and related coronaviruses. Cladistics. 24: 111–130. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1096-0031.2008.00199.x/full
- Ott, M., J. Zola, S. Aluru, A. Johnson, D. Janies, A. Stamatakis. (2008) Large-scale Phylogenetic Analysis on Current HPC Architectures. Scientific Programming. 16:255-270.
- Janies, D. and D. Pol. (2008) Phylogenetic analysis of emerging infectious diseases. In Tutorials in Mathematical Biosciences IV: Evolution and Ecology (Lecture Notes in Mathematics / Mathematical Biosciences Sub series) A. Friedman ed. http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-3-540-74328-6#section=246925&page=1
- Janies, D., A. Hill, R. Guralnick, F. Habib, E. Waltari, W. Wheeler. (2007) Genomic Analysis and Geographic Visualization of the Spread of Avian Influenza (H5N1). Systematic Biology. 56:321-9. http://sysbio.oxfordjournals.org/content/56/2/321.full
- Habib, F., A. Johnson, R. Bundschuh, D. Janies. (2007) Large scale genotype-phenotype correlation analysis based on phylogenetic trees. Bioinformatics. 23:785-788 http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/7/785.abstract
- Janies, D., P. Goloboff, D. Pol, Large-scale phylogenetic analysis for the study of zoonosis and assessment of influenza surveillance. Scalable Computing: Practice and Experience. Volume 8, Number 2, pp. 143–146. 2007
- Salzberg, S., C. Kingsford, G. Cattoli, D. Spiro, D. Janies, et al., (2007) Genome analysis links recent European and African H5N1 influenza viruses and shows them to be distinct from earlier outbreak strains. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 13:5
- Zhang, X., M. Hasoksuz, D. Spiro, R. Halpin, S. Wang, A. Vlasova, D. Janies, L. Jones, E. Ghedin, L. Saif. (2007) Quasispecies of bovine enteric and respiratory coronaviruses based on complete genome sequences and genetic changes after tissue culture adaptation. Virology. 363:1-10
- Vinh, L., A. Varon, D. Janies, W. Wheeler. (2007) Towards Phylogenomic Reconstruction. International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology. BIOCOMP'07. CSREA Press Vol. 1, page: 98-104.
- Zhang X., M. Hasoksuz, D. Spiro, R. Halpin, S. Wang, S. Stollar, D. Janies, N. Hadya, Y. Tang, E. Ghedin, L. Saif. (2007) Complete genomic sequences, a key residue in the spike protein and deletions in non-structural protein 3b of US strains of the virulent and attenuated coronaviruses, transmissible gastroenteritis virus and porcine respiratory coronavirus. Virology. 358:424-35.
- Kurc, T., D. Janies, A. Johnson, S. Langella, S. Oster, S. Hastings, F. Habib, T. Camerlengo, D. Ervin, U. Catalyurek, J. Saltz. (2006) An XML-based System for Synthesis of Data from Disparate Databases. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 13:289-301.
- Wheeler, W.C., L. Aagesen, C.P. Arango, J. Faivovich, T. Grant, C. D'Haese, D. Janies, W.L. Smith, A. Varón, G. Giribet. (2006) Dynamic homology and phylogenetic systematics: a unified approach using POY. American Museum of Natural History, New York. 365 pp. ISBN 0-913424-58-7.
- Wang, Q., M. Han, J. Funk, G. Bowman, D. Janies, L.J. Saif. (2005) Genetic diversity and recombination of porcine sapoviruses. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 43: 5963-72.
- Hastings, S., S. Langella, S. Oster, T. Kurc, T. Pan, U. Catalyurek, D. Janies, Saltz, J. (2005) Grid-based Management of Biomedical Data using an XML-based Distributed Data Management System. Symposium on Applied Computing. Santa Fe. March 13-17, 2005.
- Clouse, R., D. Janies, A. Kerr. (2005) Resurrection of Bohadschia bivittata from B. marmorata (Holothuroidea: Holothuriidae) based on behavioral, morphological, and mitochondrial DNA evidence. Zoology. 108:27-39.
- Kerr, A., D. Janies, R. Clouse, J. Kuszak, J. Kim. (2005) Molecular phylogeny of coral-reef sea cucumbers (Holothuroidea: Aspidochirotida) based on 16S mtrDNA sequence. Marine Biotechnology. 7:53-60.
- Janies, DA. (2004) "Evolution of asterozoan echinoderms and their development." Echinoderms: München: 586-587. Balkema International Publishers, T. Heinzeller and J.H. Nebelsick (eds): Leiden, Netherlands.
- Wheeler, W., Janies, D., DeLaet, J., (2004) Parallel computing and sequence alignment. McGraw-Hill 2004 Yearbook of Science & Technology.
- Janies, D. (2003) Reversibility in life cycle and larval evolution among echinoderms. Cladistics 19:154.
- Janies, D. (2003) Bioinformatics. Access science @ McGraw Hill. http://accessscience.com/qanda.aspx?id=4938&term=Human+genome
- Janies, D. and W. Wheeler. (2002) Theory and practice of parallel direct optimization, in Techniques in Molecular Systematics and Evolution. R. Desalle, G. Giribet, and W. Wheeler (eds). Birkhauser Verlag, Basel. pp. 115-23.
- Janies, D and W. Wheeler. (2001) Efficiency of parallel direct optimization. Cladistics. 17: S71-S82.
- Janies, D. (2001) Phylogenetic relationships of extant echinoderm classes. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 79:1232-1250.
- Frost, D., R. Etheridge, D. Janies, and T. Titus. (2001) Total evidence, sequence alignment, evolution of polychrotid lizards, and a reclassification of the Iguania (Squamata: Iguanania). American Museum of Natural History, Novitates. 3343. 38 pp.
- Frost, D., D. Janies, P. le Fras Mouton, T. Titus. (2001) A molecular perspective on the phylogeny of the girdled lizards (Cordylidae, Squamata). American Museum of Natural History, Novitates. 3310.
- Giribet, G., D. Janies, and W. Wheeler. (2001) Introduction. Cladistics. 17: S1-S2.
- Phillips, A. D. Janies, and W. Wheeler. (2000) Multiple sequence alignment in phylogenetic analysis. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 16:317-30.
- Blake, D., D. Janies, and R. Mooi. (2000) Evolution of Starfishes: Morphology, Molecules, Development, and Paleobiology. American Zoologist. 40: 311-315.
- Janies D. and R. Mooi. (1999) Xyloplax is an asteroid. in Echinoderm Research 1998, M. Candia Carnevali and F. Bonasoro (eds). Balkema, Rotterdam. pp. 311-316.
- Janies, D. and R. Desalle. (1999) Development, Evolution, and Corroboration. Anatomical Record (The New Anatomist). 257: 6-14.
- McEdward, L. and D. Janies. (1997) Relationships among development, ecology, and morphology in the evolution of echinoderm larvae and life cycles. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. 60: 381-400.
- Janies, D. A. and L. R. McEdward. (1994) Heterotopy, pelagic direct development, and new body plans in velatid asteroids, in: Echinoderms Through Time, B. David , A. Guille , J.P. Féral, and M. Roux (eds). Balkema, Rotterdam, Netherlands. 319-324.
- Janies, D. A. and L. R. McEdward. (1994) A hypothesis for the evolution of the concentricycloid water-vascular system, in: Reproduction and Development of Marine Invertebrates, W.H. Wilson Jr., S.A. Stricker, and G.L. Shinn (eds) Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore. 246-257.
- Janies, D. A. and L. R. McEdward. (1993) Highly derived coelomic and water-vascular morphogenesis in a starfish with pelagic direct development. Biological Bulletin. 185: 56-76.
- McEdward, L. R. and D. A. Janies. (1993) What is a larva? Life cycle evolution in asteroids. Biological Bulletin. 184: 255-268.
Theses and Dissertation
- 1995 Janies, D. Reconstructing the Evolution of Morphogenesis and Dispersal among Velatid Asteroids. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Florida. http://www.archive.org/details/reconstructingev00jani
- 1987 Janies, D. Effects of light color and energy on the production, diversity, and genera richness of periphyton colonies. Collections of the Biological Station, University of Michigan; http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/53920
- 1987 Janies, D. A quantification of the power required to correct for pitching due to center of mass-center of buoyancy misalignment in rock bass (Ambloplites rupestris). Collections of the Biological Station, University of Michigan; http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/53919
- 2010 Janies, D. Wheeler, W. Sterns, M. Summerhays. E. 2010. Testimony of the American Museum of Natural History. In: Hearings of The United States House of Representatives Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense. Washington, DC. http://appropriations.senate.gov/ht-defense.cfm?method=hearings.download...
- 2007 Statement of Daniel Andrew Janies, Ph.D. In: Local Challenges of Global Proportions: Evaluating Roles, Preparedness for, and Surveillance of Pandemic Influenza. Edited by Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs United States Senate. Washington, DC: US Gov Printing office. http://www.access.gpo.gov/congress/senate